“The samples of the product collected and subjected to FDA analysis were found positive for methanol,” the FDA said in an advisory.
“All local government units and law enforcement agencies are requested to ensure that this product is not sold or made available in their localities or areas of jurisdiction,” the agency added.
The FDA said that the Cosmic Carabao Gin should not have been sold in the first place as its certificate of product registration has not been approved.
The agency urged the public to “exercise extreme caution in buying alcoholic drinks, especially those that do not have labels, poorly printed labels or with broken seals.”
Two women reportedly fell ill and vomited after consuming the alcoholic drink. The victims were rushed to hospital where one of them died, while the other one was unconscious.
The agency said that methanol may be found in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic fermented beverages as a product of natural fermentation. Higher concentrations may be present in liquor drinks if methanol is intentionally added.
Signs and symptoms of methanol poisoning include headache, abdominal pain, vomiting, hyperventilation, and blindness in severe cases, it added.